We interviewed Section 13 Mechanical Fitter, Jacques Ziemkendorf who works in the mining sector as a Maintenance Planner.
- What industry do you work in and what exactly are your skills?
I am currently in the mining sector and prior to that I was in manufacturing heavy industrial sector. I have planning skills as well as Mechanical fitter skills. In addition to that, I performed daily maintenance on:
- Weir Warmin Pumps
- Conveyors/ Pulleys / Idlers/ Gearboxes/
- Belt Filters
- Diesel Pumps
- Submersible Pumps
- HTPE Welding
- Service Electrical Motors
- Rebuild Gearboxes
- Belt Filters Maintenance
- CURRU Pumps
- Vacuum Pumps
- SLONS 1500 2000
- What is your job title?
Maintenance Planner / Condition Monitoring
- What inspired you to get into this industry?
I love everything mechanical and because the industry is evolving so quickly with new products to improve efficiency and production, it is really a very interesting field to be in if it’s your passion, like it is mine.
- What qualifications and experience did you have to gain in order to establish yourself in your industry?
I am qualified Section 13 Mechanical Fitter. After hard work I was promoted to Planner because of my knowledge of equipment and maintenance.
- If somebody starts as a trainee / beginner within your line of work, what could they earn in salary?
Approximately R200 per hour
- What can you expect to earn after 10 years of experience in this field?
Approximately R350 per hour
- What is the most challenging aspect of your job?
Due to working in remote parts of the country, accessing amenities for urgent call-outs, is difficult. (For example, acquiring spares for break downs).
- How do you manage to overcome these challenges?
To think logical and to assess the situation that I am in and to act accordingly. I have learnt to challenge myself and to think out of the box by planning ahead for situations like these and not just to sit and wait.
- What has been the highlight of your career?
My biggest highlight was to fill the role of Acting Engineering Manager.
- What advice can you offer people who are in the same industry as you?
There are endless opportunities to better yourself. Do not wait for opportunities – make them.
- Where in Africa have you worked before?
I’ve worked in the UK before but never in Africa it’s still one of my dreams and goals to work there.
- As you know, numerous African countries are being invested in due to their rich minerals. Which country within Africa do you think will be the next hot spot and why?
- Kenya because of the upgradesof the various ports by China
- Mozambique (PowerStation’s)
- Ghana Gold
- Namibia uranium
- Who is your role model and why?
Nelson Mandela is my role model because he opened Africa and the world to us as South Africans and gave us a platform to share our skills and experience.
- What motivates you to work this hard?
I am constantly trying to better my skills not only for myself but also for my family. I have a wife and child and I strive to give to them the best that I can.
- CA Global is a big believer in Africa, why do YOU believe in Africa?
I was born in South Africa and I am proud of my roots.
If you would like us to interview you for jobs in Africa, then follow the instructions in this article: We are interviewing for Jobs in Africa
If you would like to learn about new jobs every day, add us on Google plus. We will add you back. Here is the link: https://plus.google.com/u/0/b/105046933578167400720/105046933578167400720/posts