Reference No. 618 0809 MHU
Reference Number: 618 0809 MHU
Our multinational mining client has an opportunity for an expat Senior Metallurgist for one of their operations in West Africa. The key purpose of the role is to monitor, correct non-conformance issues, identify opportunities for improvement and improve operational performance of the Gold Room by setting process operating targets, implementing improvement projects, and correcting operational issues/challenges. Core tasks: To complete project works as directed by the process manager(s) to drive improved plant performance; To interact with external consultants as directed by HOD to provide and request information as required to complete various testwork programmes and feasibility studies; To provide technical support to the processing operation to ensure plant performance is optimised and processing development opportunities are identified and pursued. This role reports directly into the Process Manager.
- To optimise the gold recovery process through processing plant optimization and effective cost management.
- Ensure that all staff conduct themselves in a safe manner as prescribed by company policies and procedures and fulfil their required safety obligations.
- Participate in the skills development training and succession planning for the local employees.
- Maintain a culture of continuous improvement through the elimination of possible bottlenecks, systems development and review and sourcing alternative engineering solutions to benefit plant throughput and utilisation.
- Production – ensure gold production targets are met or exceeded in a safe and efficient manner by ensuring gold recovery and mill throughput is optimized.
- Technical Support – develop and optimize the key operating parameters for the plant, provide systems by which these parameters can be monitored and maintained by the metallurgical and process operations team.
- Staff Development – provide technical input for the departmental training programs ensuring all employees are provided with the opportunity to learn and apply skills that are aligned with the objectives of the company.
- Continuous Improvement – Provide a formalized process for evaluation of achievements against performance objectives and ensure areas for improvement are identified and actioned, including the scoping & execution of agreed project works.
- Cost Control – participate in departmental budget compilation and cost control initiatives, including the identification of project works with the specific objective to reduce operating cost.
- Responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of production data and generates gold room production forecasts (daily, weekly and monthly) for use by Process Management
- Tracks all production and metallurgical KPI’s and responds to solve any KPI that is deviating from target within their defined area of responsibility.
- Ensure that all safety training needs has been identified and training program followed by employees as required.
- Comply with all Company environment and community policies, standards, and procedures.
- Proactively demonstrate and foster care and concern for the environment and community
Requirements: Qualification and Skill
- Tertiary qualification – BEng or BSc Chemical Engineering, Minerals Engineering, Extractive Metallurgy or equivalent.
- 10 + years mineral processing experience (preferably gold), including at least 5 + years project related working experience (in Africa).
- Demonstrated operational experience with SABC grinding, gravity recovery, CIL and AARL elution circuits at a minimum, with TSF, flotation & refractory ore processing experience an added benefit.
- Awareness of relevant dangerous good legislation, locally and selected international codes.
- Conversant with the general criteria of the cyanide management code
- Experience with process control systems
- Preference will be given to French & English bilingual candidate, but ability to speak French not a prerequisite.
- Excellent leadership and management skills with proven ability to motivate and empower team.
- Ability to manage and develop staff.
- Must possess strong cultural sensitivity and be able to execute work successfully in a different culture.
Benefits and Contractual information:
- FIFO expat role with roster of 6 weeks on / 3 weeks off
- Competitive USD net salary package
If you wish to apply for the position, please send your CV to mhuber [at] camining [dot] com
Managing Lead – Executive Mining Recruitment
CA Mining will respond to short-listed candidates only. If you have not had any response in two weeks, please consider your application unsuccessful however your CV will be kept on our database for any other suitable positions.